<< The DirecTV HR20 is the crappiest DVR ever   |   WEBLOG   |   My Life on the E-List >>

I was there when the comeback began!

I joined Apple way back in June 1996. Apple wasn't doing very well, and was posting regular losses. We had a new CEO Gil Amelio who was trying to turn things around.

To make people believe he was doing a good job, he cooked the books and made a fake quarterly profit of $25 million. He made a bunch of cheap hats and bumper stickers and handed them out at a company-wide meeting on July 22, 1996. They said, "I was there when the comeback began! July 22, 1996"

image

In reality, the comeback had not yet begun, and Gil Amelio would not be around when the comeback would eventually begin. I think we announced a $750 million loss the next quarter. Every year on July 22, I dig out my hat and wear it as a homage - a mocking homage - to Gil.

Posted by: jav on Jul 22, 08 | 11:12 am | Profile

COMMENTS

Ummmm your image is flipped. Or were the hats so cheap they printed them backwards?

Posted by: TSG on Jul 22, 08 | 5:46 pm

This is a bug in Safari. Try looking at it in Firefox or IE. I wrote up a bug.

The hat is printed correctly, but Photo Booth does this mirror thing which makes everything look backwards.

Posted by: jav on Jul 22, 08 | 5:59 pm

Is the brim of that hat Bondi Blue, or just garden-variety cyan? Maybe there's a Stump the Experts question in there somewhere. :)

Posted by: Bruce on Jul 30, 08 | 8:43 pm

The hat predates the invention on bondi blue by a couple years. It's just an ugly green hat.

Posted by: jav on Jul 31, 08 | 11:31 am

Green? My wife is right about me being colour blind. I knew the Bondi Blue iMac arrived later... But the hat would have made a weirder origin story. :P

Posted by: Bruce on Jul 31, 08 | 1:02 pm

This is a bug in Safari. Try looking at it in Firefox or IE. I wrote up a bug.

Posted by: obd2 on Jan 21, 14 | 7:10 pm
For security purposes, please enter the number 1347 here:
name
Location
Homepage

Show email   Remember me

Notify me when someone replies to this post?

Powered by pMachine